Books & Authors
The Lexile® Framework for Reading
A popular method used by schools to measure a student reader’s ability is Lexile level or a Lexile Measure. A valuable tool for teachers, parents, and students, it serves two unique functions: to measure how difficult a text is or a student’s reading ability level. Read on to understand how it works.
One Book Does Not Fit All…
Although children may be the same age, but their reading levels can vary!
How Can That Be?
Reading proficiency is being able to read the text expected for a year level. Just like shoes, one size does not fit all – which is pretty much how our reading levels are.The Lexile® Framework for Reading is a scientific approach that places both the reader and text on the same developmental scale, making it easy to connect your child with books targeted to their reading ability.
Introduction to Lexile Measures
A popular method used to measure a student reader’s ability is Lexile level or a Lexile Measure. A Lexile measure is a valuable tool for teachers, parents, and students.
It serves two unique functions:
- Measures the complexity of reading material
- Measures the English reading ability of individual readers
The Lexile® Framework for Reading
The Lexile® Framework for Reading was developed based on 20+ years of research by an educational assessment and research team, funded originally by the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development.
The chart below indicates the recommended Lexile measures according to grades:
Comparison of Lexiled texts
How is Lexile Text Complexity Analyzed?
Through the Lexile® Analyzer, text complexity is determined based on difficulty of sentence level (Syntactic) and word level (Semantic).The algorithm that is used to determine the Lexile® measure of a book or piece of text is now enhanced to provide more precise measurement of materials read in K-2 classrooms.As a result, the nine-variable model provides "early-reading indicators" that help identify important text features.Thease are categorized into four early-reading indicators and assigned a level of difficulty for typical K-2 books (see examples below):
- Lexile Levels Made Easy: a simple article that explains Lexile levels, how it works and why it’s important
- The Lexile® Framework for Reading Explainer: describes how the Lexile® Framework for Reading links assessment with reading instruction
- The Lexile Framework for Reading Explainer Video: describes the basic concepts and uses of the Lexile® Framework for reading
- What Does the Lexile Measure Mean?: an information sheet that describes the meaning of Lexile measures and its use in measuring student’s reading ability
- Comparability in the Measurement of Reading through the Lexile Framework for Reading: describes the differences in measuring reading ability
Scholastic Learning Zone
Looking for products to help support your student’s reading development? Check out Scholastic Learning Zone and the products available:
Scholastic Learning Zone is an online platform that gives educators and students one-stop access to a growing portfolio of engaging digital learning resources.
- Interactive web-based programs that improve students'language skills and knowledge
- Classroom management tools and usage reports
- One-stop access to online learning resources
Scholastic Learning Zone is your central digital learning resources that uniquely integrates leveled reading programs using The Lexile® framework designed to produce proficient and successful readers based on 20+ years of research.